Tuesday, April 15, 2014

How I View Television

When I first started this blog, I had it in my mind to review every American and British film and television show, plus anime. I now realize how completely idiotic that notion was. But it didn’t stop me from narrowing down specific films to watch and review. I started doing winners of Best Picture and after a slightly short break, I started doing Disney animated and hybrid films.
No I’m not quitting.
But what I am doing is bringing around another aspect of this blog’s original intent. I’m hoping to have a review of a television show up in the near future. But before I actually post that kind of review, I wanted to go into how I view television shows in regards to plot.

Type A: A show that is completely episodic in nature. Each episode, or episodes if it’s a two parter, has a contained plot that won’t show up in later episodes. Good examples of Type A shows are Seinfeld, I Love Lucy, and Lucky Star.

Type B:  A show that is largely episodic and can stand alone on the individual episodes, but has a seasonal (or multiseasonal) overarching storyline that adds to the individual episodes. You take away the overarching storyline and the show doesn't suffer because the individual plots can still hold it up. Good examples of Type B shows are NCIS, CSI and Friends.

Type C:  A show that is episodic, but the overarching storylines are an integral part of the show. The episodic and overarching elements are intertwined in such a way that removing one causes the other to suffer. The plot cannot hold itself up without both. Filler and Breather episodes may occur and are sometimes necessary, but should be limited. Good Examples of Type C shows are Doctor Who, Scrubs, and Digimon.

Type D: A show where the episodes are more than an hour long but are limited in the number. Usually known as a miniseries. Good Examples of Type D shows: John Adams, Band of Brothers, The Bible.

A show that is type A can become a type B, but usually only briefly before moving back to Type A. Type B shows can and do move into Type C. Type C shows have the ability to move into Type B, but the transition should be pulled off well, however, few Type C shows transition well into Type B.
Type D shows never change.


So whenever I review a television show, this is the standard I hold myself to talking about plots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment